UK Spouse Visa Application Timeline 2021
Many overseas nations move to the UK to begin a new life with their UK settled partner.
The UK spouse visa is also known as a UK marriage visa, a spouse visa allows married partners of UK nationals to move to the UK because they are married to someone who is already ‘settled in the UK’. A UK settled person, any one who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK. The spouses or partners can definitely go for a spouse visa renewal up to 2.5 years, approximately 30 months if they meet the requirements set by the Home Office. You will need to extend your visa at least once to complete your 5 year or approximately 60 months qualifying period for settlement as a partner or spouse
Eligibility to apply for a UK spouse/partner visa?
You will be eligible for a UK spouse visa under the following circumstances
- Both partners or spouses are over 18 years of age
- Either of the spouse is a British or Irish citizen
- The partner or spouses have ILR or permanent residency- as settled status in the UK
- if they have been granted British citizenship.
- If they are from EU, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, or Iceland and have pre-settled status ( as on 31st December 2020)
- a Turkish Worker visa holder or Turkish Businessperson visa
- Partners or spouses with refugee status
- Or if either or both partners have humanitarian protection in the UK
Along with the above eligibility requirements the partners should also provide the following to the Home Office
- They are in a civil partnership or marriage as legally recognised in the UK
- The partners have been living together in a relationship for at least two years before applying for a UK spouse visa
- The partners have intention to get married in the UK within six months of arrival.
In addition to the above, you will also need to show you have a sufficient level of English language proficiency and can financially sustain yourself and your dependents in the UK. To meet with the financial eligibility, the partners must have a combined income of at least £18,600 per year (this could increase if you have children).
However, even if you are unable to meet all of these requirements, you may still be able to make a successful application if:
- you have a child in the UK who is a British or Irish citizen or has lived in the UK for seven years, and under unreasonable circumstances for the partners to leave the UK
- If the partners have breached Human rights law and are ordered to stay in the UK indefinitely.
What is the timeline for application?
The Home Office processing time for a UK spouse visa is approximately 3 months, provided you are applying from outside the UK; however, this could be longer if they request more information.
This is why submitting a complete application is mandatory.
Expedited application for a UK spouse visa
The spouse can expedite the process of getting a spouse visa depending on which country you live in
Either by using the priority or super-priority services available in your country
One can check to use these services by contacting the visa application centre in your country.
Seeking professional help
Eventually you would want your Uk spouse visa to be successfully granted to you hassle-free. Hence it becomes crucial to take support of any immigration law firm.
A Y & J Solicitors have some of the best immigration lawyers in London. They understand the complex and strict laws of the UK and represent your case uniquely as needed. They also help you keep abreast with the latest UK immigration news and updates that may benefit their clients.