Why do we need Artificial Intelligence?
In today’s fast-paced world, more and more technological advancements have been taking place for the last few decades. Therefore, the need to act and react to the applications and make better decisions for businesses has increased over time. Artificial intelligence machines are arguably the most effective components of computer science that have become a significant contributor to the world these days.
AI implementation has increased over the past few years drastically which has given rise to several online and offline courses as well for people to pursue. AI courses focus on providing people with the basics of AI as well the theoretical knowledge of the field.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
The term Artificial Intelligence was first popularized back in 1956. However, AI has become the more usable term over time. Artificial Intelligence is the most effective branch of computer science these days. It manages to do all the tasks successfully, all that requires human intelligence as the primary source of energy. The main objective of AI machines is to analyse and understand past human experiences and work upon them to not make those mistakes again.
It can very well be considered a machine-operated intelligence that opposes the phrase ‘natural intelligence’. Some people consider machines that can mimic human intelligence as ‘cognitive’ systems that have the ability to run as parallel intelligence systems.
They also have the ability to analyse more data and have deeper knowledge in less time. Therefore, they are able to come up with quick and unique solutions to several issues faced in businesses. Most online applications like Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter use artificial intelligence to make more organized and well-thought recommendations. Renowned shopping apps like Amazon, Myntra, Flipkart, etc., also make the best use of artificial intelligence to make better recommendations for their customers.
How does AI work?
There are different types of AI that are used in different situations. The most common approaches AI has are Reactive Machines, Limited Memory, Theory of Mind, and Self-awareness. While the former two approaches are extensively used, the theory of mind and the self-awareness concepts are present in the scene only hypothetically.
There are a few major conceptual steps that all AI machines follow in order to function properly:
- Thinking humanly: The first and foremost step that all AI machines have to take is to understand human actions, possess good judging capabilities and fast reaction time to situations in order to make their own decisions from a human point of view.
- Thinking rationally: The idea of AI machines revolves around understanding human thought processes and then make decisions rationally.
- Acting humanly: In order for the artificial intelligence machines to operate humanly, they need to first observe and learn from the human experiences and then make their own actions.
- Acting rationally: Behavioural aspects of human beings are judged and understood thoroughly by AI operators and then rationally make decisions for the businesses in a quicker and smarter way.
Why do we need AI?
The need to have something that is smarter and faster than humans led to the level of dependence businesses have today on artificial intelligence. Some of the major reasons we need AI in today’s world are mentioned below:
- AI machines are better at doing repetitive tasks than humans. They are quicker and more unique when it comes to any sort of monotonous workflow than humans in any field.
- Most renowned online applications like LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify, Instagram, and Twitter need Artificial Intelligence to make better and unique recommendations for their customers. In the retail world, virtual shopping apps like Flipkart and Amazon also use artificial intelligence in order to maximise their sales possibilities. It saves time for both the customers and the sellers.
- In order for certain smart assistants like Siri and Alexa to operate properly, artificial intelligence is required. Simple Google search results are influenced by AI learnings, which leads to niched and proper information that the user might be looking for.
- In the world of banking, artificial machines work towards enhancing speed, effectiveness, and precision. In financial institutes. AI can also detect which transactions might turn out to be a fraud and which ones are real.
- AI has the ability to generally make the standard of living better in smart cities. Predictive maintenance is made easier with the help of artificial intelligence.
- In the medical field, AI helps in making the lives of medical professionals easier by making rational predictions for them: Reminding them to take their pills, meditate every day and work out at a particular time in the day, or conducting a certain medical examination for a patient are some of the examples AI helps medical professionals with.
- AI also adds intelligence to pre-existing products. For instance, Apple products, conversational platforms, and other automation software and applications are improved with the help of artificial intelligence.
- In the manufacturing field, AI plays a huge role as well. It helps the professionals maintain a specific type of data used with sequence data with the help of its synchronizing power.
Moreover, the major aspect AI takes care of is the reduction of human error. The fact that they are machines makes sure no reaction from their side is incorrect in any situation. They are programmed properly and have been designed in a way that ensures no error is made from their part no matter what situation they are dealing with or what field of work they are working in.
Limitations of AI machines:
Although AI machines have the ability to overwhelm human beings with their faster, smarter and unique work capabilities, there are certain disadvantages as well.
The major disadvantage can be considered to be the lack of creativity that is noticed in the AI machines’ performances in every field. The fact that they analyse, understand human experiences and make their own decisions is fascinating. However, their reactions become monotonous and repetitive after a certain point of time and show their lack of creativity. It is a big issue when it comes to the question of whether AI has surpassed human intelligence yet.
Another issue that is faced by many small business owners is the huge implementation costs. Not every business owner can afford to install AI machines as it requires a huge monetary backup. Apart from that, training in AI can also come across as costly for many aspiring AI specialists. However, in complex situations, AI machines often fail to come up with proper solutions. Their overall performance is better in repetitive work scenarios.
However, with the increased rate of AI implementation in today’s world, the fear of more people being unemployed has also increased over time. Machines are better at doing repetitive software tasks and monotonous exercises over and over again. They also have the capability to do the tasks quickly and properly which puts human intelligence behind in that race.
With the increased technological advancements, several challenges have come up, and AI machines have come to the rescue with their smart and fast-operating system. Although they have their own set of problems that people often have to deal with, the amount of work they manage to do is commendable and is more often than not as effective and well-thought-out compared to human actions. Therefore, today’s world cannot do without artificial intelligence considering how in so many fields it has made the whole experience better.