6 Best Mobile App Test Automation Tools
If you want more frequent deployments of your mobile app or perhaps market it at a faster pace, we can say that automation is an absolute must-have. But if you want to reap the benefits of automated mobile testing, one of the things that you need is the right test automation tool.
We’ll fill you in on the 6 best mobile app test automation tools that we’ve pre-selected but not before we’ve briefly discussed what factors people should look for in mobile testing tools.
Table of Contents
Factors to Consider When Choosing A Mobile Test Automation Tool
If you want to find the right tools for testing script generation, you should pay attention to the following features which are vital for successful testing.
● Compatibility with Multiple Scripting Languages
This will let you have more options in testing scripting languages. You would be able to choose from a variety of scripting languages. With that, your QA team will be able to select scripting languages they are most familiar and comfortable with.
● Scriptless Testing
It would also be useful to have automation testing using jira that will let you test your app without having to code. It is an ideal feature if you have people who are not that familiar with coding. On the plus side, it also makes testing way easier and faster.
● Mobile Testing for Multiple Operating Systems
Your automation tool should be the one that will enable you to run your tests in multiple mobile operating systems. It would also be a good idea to ask if CS if the tool also has a code reuse option. This means that you don’t have to edit the scripts if you need to run a test on a different mobile operating system.
● Seamless Integration
Most of the time, the use of test automation will require working with many platforms. If that is the case, you need to use a tool that can seamlessly be integrated with other platforms that you are using.
6 Best Mobile App Test Automation Tools
Getting on to business, below are some of our pre-selected top test automation tools for mobile apps.
TestProject will enable you to test your apps on Android, iOS, and the web with little effort. It is one of the first cloud-based and community-powered mobile app test automation tools in the industry to date.
You can use this tool alongside Selenium and Appium so that you can collaborate seamlessly with everyone on your team. Aside from mobile app testing, you can also use TestProject to create and use add-ons or develop coded tests.
Here are some features to love about this tool:
- It is completely free
- There is no need to set up any complex configuration
- Equipped with detailed report dashboards
- Can be used by people with zero coding knowledge
- Seamless integration with other test automation tools
This is an automated testing tool that lets you create, maintain, and execute UI tests for mobile applications as well as desktop and web browsers.
You will be able to test hybrid and native mobile apps. TestComplete also can run automated mobile app testing on virtual machines, emulators, or even real devices.
Below are some of its most prominent features:
- You can write down tests manually through the code editor
- Keyword-driven tests generation
- Can run tests on multiple mobile platforms
- Multiple scripting languages
- Can convert GUI tests and keyword-driven script tests into certain languages
- Can be integrated with other testing tools like Jira and Jenkins
- It has a record-and-play feature that lets you run tests even if you don’t run a single code
3. Robot Framework
You can test mobile, web, and desktop applications through Robot Framework which is an open-source keyword-driven test automation framework. It is commonly used if you want to do acceptance level testing, robotic process automation, and acceptance test-driven development (ATDD).
Below are some of its best features:
- Keyword-driven test generation
- Testing of cross platforms
- Seamlessly integrates with other supporting tools
- A vast library of external and standard tests
Similar to Robot Framework, Appium is yet another open-source test automation framework. You can use it to create and run tests on native and hybrid mobile apps. Appium covers both Android and iOS platforms. It is equipped with code reuse for both test suites.
It resembles Selenium to a great degree. With that, if you have been using Selenium and are currently looking for a new alternative, Appium will work quite well for you.
Below are its most highlighted features:
- Code reuse so you can easily run tests using your code for a different mobile platform
- Supports multiple programming languages
- Easy integration with Jenkin
- Recording feature on Appium Desktop that can be converted into code
This is considered to be one of the most popular automated mobile app test automation tools to date. It is a mobile testing framework created by Google and is seamlessly integrated with Android Studio. Almost anyone who develops native Android apps is familiar with this tool.
It is quite similar to TestComplete since it also has several options to offer in terms of test script generation. But you can only create Android UI tests with Espresso.
Below are some of Espresso’s most prominent features:
- Supports Java and Kotlin tests
- Comes with a flexible and simple AI
- You can test on real devices as well as emulators
- Equipped with Espresso Test Recorder that enables you to record instead of write code
- A platform-specific solution
This is a mobile app automation tool that lets you have full control of your mobile devices while you are manually testing them. It also offers support in terms of mobile gestures, GPS simulations, orientations, speaker control, camera, and many more.
Kobiton will also capture all actions performed during the testing session through generated activity logs. With that, you will be able to identify any issue if there will be any need.
Here are some of its top features:
- Includes data logs and testing history
- Support for Appium 1.6.4
- You can get a free trial without a credit card
- Simple UX
- Internal Device Lab Management
There is no straightforward way to look for the best mobile app test automation tool in the market. You have to consider the pros and cons of the project to determine what features you need and what potential blindspots you need to be prepared for.
We hope our quick guide on automation tools was able to shed light on some of the most credible tools in the industry as well as what features they have to offer.